defining moments of my life

Sunday, October 16, 2005

tomboy phase

When i was young, i dressed like a tomboy. it was not intentional or that i was a lesbian or something. just a tendency to dress like a boy. felt more comfortable in jeans, checked shirts and t-shirts. i did not notice the direction i was going. had my hair cut short after having long hair till I was in Form 1. Mum was a tailor but she did not have the time to sew anything decent for me. and i did not complain as i was very active in games. cousins would comment;. sis tried to change me, tried to teach me sewing, etc and i hated every moment of it. i just could not produce a decent piece of needlework; or, the piece of cloth would be black by the time i finished with it or was it the other way around. i was more interested in playing the guitar. Of course, i was also interested in boys by then, but it did not change my dressing. However, one defining moment was when i attended a camp for a week in Penang. On the last day, outsiders were invited to watch our performance. I was dressed in brown velvet jeans, leather belt and a brown checked shirt for one of our sketch. While waiting for our turn, i sat down among the audience. As i was making my way to the chairs, i heard two men commented on my appearance; 'Another one of those...' That comment hurt me a lot. No, I was not a lesbian. No, I did not feel like a boy. I felt every inch a girl. It's just that i really did not venture into dresses at that time due to my upbringing and the company i kept. From that day onwards, I was determined to look like a girl. Started buying skirts and blouses. And suddenly, plenty of boys started coming around to the house.. Hmmmm ..Now, i still am very comfortable in jeans and t-shirts. I can emphatise with young girls who are a bit tomboyish...It is just a phase that we go through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home